Sunday, December 6, 2009

Descriptive Words and Alternate Meanings

“Let me ask you this” says Miree, with the hint of a laugh in her voice, “what’s your definition of a slut?”

I say to her “someone who will have sex with anyone and everyone without any regard for themselves or the other person.”

“See, that’s the same as mine.”

She went on to tell me how her friend Kyle has a completely different definition of the word. His being a little overkill personally and honestly a little off from the reality of the word, but that’s the difference between people.

Once we hung up I thought about how people have a variety of definitions for certain words such as hook up, dating, and lying.

I’ve done my fair share of traveling around the United States and whenever I remember to do so, I always ask people what their definition of hook up is. I’ve heard it defined as kissing, holding hands, meeting up with someone or a group, dating, and even sex.

The definition even varies with different generations. Older people tended to use hook up when referring to meeting up. Whereas younger people mostly used it in reference to something sexual.


Dating implies something different for just about everyone. I consider dating to be when you seeing another person exclusively yet are not fully committed to a serious relationship. Whereas other people I know consider it an actual relationship or the act of seeing multiple people at one time.

By definition, the word lie means "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood."

Weird how this tiny little speck of a word can be cause so much turmoil. A white lie, a fib, something you choose not to tell someone – call it what you want to call it – the fact is that it means you’re not telling the truth, hands down.

Last but not least is my favorite phrase of all time: talking shit. Being from the east coast, this was a common term I’ve heard since birth practically. In New Jersey, talking shit means talking about someone behind their back.

Actually – it means running your fucking mouth because you think you’ve got something to prove and heaven forbid the person your flaps are moving about were to talk shit on you, than you’d fuck their day up…possibly even their week.

I always hated how people in Jersey always felt that they had something to prove. Like, what in the fuck are you so angry about and who do you really have to prove anything to besides yourself and your family? The matter of gender does not apply to this in that both male and females act this way and that it’s not a mutually exclusive subject.

Sadly, the girls are probably worse than the guys.

I can’t even believe that its 1:07am and I’m writing about the definitions of random word. Really, I can’t believe that words can stray so far from their actual meaning.

What are your definitions of these words? What other words or phrases can you think that have a varied meaning?

6 comments:

brittystardust said...

Once upon a time... some girl called me a "slut with my boyfriends" to one of my exbfs. Now explain that to me?

Lauren B. said...

Fuck that! People are SO stupid!

painter phoenix said...

What i can say is, everyone has its own opinion.

scottsdale periodontist said...

I learned a lot from you. Your blogs are always excellent.

astrologia said...

This layout is so stellar. How do you manage to make a blog thats as smart as it is sleek?

fifa14.vipmmobank said...

Regarding games with branching narratives, Stephenson explained it is a quite difficult aspect to make work since the creator finishes up with the large quantity associated with possible benefits; a lot of to make it functional.Where we should instead acquire is where you really inform the storyline during this process, that is what goes on from the oldschool penandpaper design Dungeons & Dragons online game, Stephenson stated, then a story can be wherever you need this to visit.
Fifa 15 Coins

Buy Fifa 14 Coins